Cucumber is a popular fruit that is used extensively in salads, smoothies, pickles, soups and what not (even cakes!). It is extremely refreshing with 90% of it’s volume consisting of water and is very filling for the stomach because of it’s high fibre content, making it ideal for inducing weight loss.
Cucumber is probably native to India, originating some 3000 years ago and gradually spread eastwards toward China and westwards to the other parts of Asia, North Africa, and Europe. Cucumber plant is a creeping vine that needs a trellis or a supporting structure to grow. The plant has large leaves that form a canopy over the fruit.
Varieties of cucumber that are available in India include Baby Snacking Cucumbers, Turkish Cucumbers, English Cucumbers, Straight Eight, Japanese Long Green, Poinsette and many more. It is available in India all throughout the year due to the warm climate here. It is not very expensive too, thus making it an all-time favourite for health conscious people.
Become an Urban Farmer-
Enjoy the Fruits of your Hard Work
Become an Urban Farmer-Become an Urban Farmer in One Day Enjoy the Fruits of your Hard Work Click Here
Here are some benefits of eating cucumbers –
- Low on calorie – They are very low in calories. One cup of sliced cucumber has only 14 calories; less than 1% of the daily calorie requirement
- Induces weight loss – Its high fibre and water content keeps the stomach full for longer, helping a person not to snack in between two meals resulting in weight loss. Moreover, they do not contain any fat! Yes, they are absolutely fat-free. Due to this they will never lead to gain in weight.
- Keeps you hydrated – Cucumbers are 95% water and are great for keeping you hydrated in the extreme heat during summers in India.
- Keeps constipation at bay – cucumber is rich in fibre, aiding in digestion and preventing constipation. It is also refreshing, leading to increase in activity of the body, further burning fat.
- It frees the body from toxins and keeps the blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure regulated.
- Rich in vitamins & minerals – Cucumbers are loaded with antioxidants, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, B range vitamins (like folate) and fibre. Some skin-related ailments could be taken care of by including cucumbers in the diet. Staying fit goes along with having healthy skin. This can be affected by making cucumber into a face mask for application to the face or skin surfaces.
Cucumber Juice-Drinking cucumber juice every day in the morning on an empty stomach will not only promote weight loss but also keep you refreshed throughout the day. Alternatively it can also be taken at night. To prepare, add some chopped cucumber, lime juice, cilantro, aloe vera juice, water and sliced ginger in a blender and blend thoroughly.
Cucumber Salad-A cup of chopped cucumbers before the meal can suppress your appetite, reducing the calories that you take during mealtimes. Just mix some salt and pepper to chopped cucumbers! Along with this, cucumbers can also be used for garnishing and as dressings on various dishes.
Cucumber Yogurt or Cucumber Raita –This tasty option can be eaten with or before meals. Add some grated cucumber to a cup of yogurt with some salt and pepper. Some finely chopped onions and tomatoes can be also be added to enhance the flavour.
Cucumber Smoothie –By blending a cup of chopped cucumber with green apple, lemon juice and mint, you will make the best way to lose weight for smoothie lovers. This can be drunk as often as you want to attain a lean and fit body. Enjoy cucumbers in which ever form you like today . It will help not only in weight loss but enhance your self-esteem and confidence as well!
You May Also Like
Eleven reasons why spinach is healthy for you
Our mothers always advised us to eat healthy. It is perhaps the most efficient way to lead a quality life. One of the best ways
Six delicious ways to preserve cherry tomatoes
There are times when we crave certain flavours, fruits or vegetables. But due to their seasonal availability, we have to control our cravings. Unfortunately, not
Is broccoli really helpful in losing weight ?
Whenever we set our weight loss goals, the first thing that pops up in our mind is what to eat? It is very important to